07 August 2010

Personal Mission Statement

 The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens

Something I picked up from reading The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Stephen Covey that stuck with me was the concept of a personal mission statement.

Goal # 30. Write a personal mission statement and post it in my office - In Progress

I really like the idea of the personal mission statement because it helps me clearly see where I am now and where I want to be. I definitely needed help getting started on my mission statement so I used the statement builder on FranklinCovey.com to give me some guidance. The builder asks you some great questions about yourself and your life and generates a basic mission statement. I took what I came up with and revised it, adding a lot more to it, until I was satisfied. I put in a lot about my spiritual life and a set of daily affirmations. The idea of daily affirmations comes from my high school leadership teacher and my husband, who are both firm believers in their power (my husband has already written a set of affirmations for our baby). I've put it away for about a week and plan to reread it and revise again if I need to. Afterwards I'll post it here and in my office so I can read it daily.

Writing a mission statement has encouraged me to check out the adult version of that beloved book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. I ordered it for super cheap on Amazon.com and have been thoroughly enjoying reading it. I'll post more once I get further into the book.

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

Are you familiar with the concept of a mission statement? Have you ever written one?

No comments:

Post a Comment