05 August 2010

Attachment Parenting

I recently purchased The Attachment Parenting Book: A Commonsense Guide to Understanding and Nurturing Your Baby by William Sears, M.D. and Martha Sears, R.N. after having it checked out way past its due date at the library (shame on me). I love this book. It makes so much sense to me, I really can't see myself raising my baby any other way.

The Attachment Parenting Book : A Commonsense Guide to Understanding and Nurturing Your Baby 

When I think of what life will be like when I'm not pregnant anymore, it makes me kind of sad. How will I live my day-to-day without feeling the baby kick? That concept is currently beyond me. But how else can I feel that close to my baby without constantly holding her? How will I know when things are going right, or not, if she's not physically close to me at all times, rarely separated by any great distance? How can I pass along all the good things that comes from my healthy eating without breastfeeding her?

Are these the only ways in which you can raise a healthy, happy baby? Certainly not. As with all things in life, I think when someone thinks they have the be-all, end-all answer to a question, they're further away from the truth than the rest of us. There are probably as many ways to "properly" raise a child as there are children on the planet. But having no child-rearing experience of my own, I think sticking with a proven system based on gentle methods is the best thing I can do for my baby.

Everything the Sears' suggest are things I planned on doing anyway but it's nice to read more about why it's so good for myself and the baby. They take the latest research on attachment parenting and present it in an easy-to-read format. Finally, I have medical research to back up my views on parenting when some of my more outspoken family members voice their doubts about my decisions. Next time I get incredulous stares when I mention co-sleeping, I can say "It's doctor recommended!" This book is a must-read for anyone interested in attachment parenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment